Friday, November 2, 2007

Singing

This is about Nathan again. I love to write about a child who is going through the throes of growing up with his innocent and sometimes exasperating ways. Lucy and I don't have children of our own, but in a way we do. Lucy has the job of babysitting for her niece. Both she and her husband work so we have four-year-old Nathan and two-year-old Nolan over on our side of the house five or six days a week.

When Nathan was two years old he was interested in my piano when I played it. I carefully went over Twinkle Twinkle Little Star whenever he was around, among other children's songs. He watched intently as I played and I even sang it to him. He was at the age where he wasn't talking yet and I hoped to teach him to sing someday. Sometimes he would get rambunctious and I would sit him on my lap at the piano and play the song. The Twinkle Star song would be the main song to quiet him down.

One evening I was reading in the living room. All was quiet and Nathan was upstairs on his side of the house in bed for the night. Suddenly I heard singing...ba ba ba ba ba ba .... Nathan was singing the Twinkle Star Song in perfect melody.

When he was three years old he learned the A B C song to the same tune. This time I recorded him. And when my cousins came from out of state, I had him sing it to them. The only way he would do it then was when he hid behind a chair.

Parenthood is different these days than it was years ago. When two parents work it is difficult giving the proper attention to a child, and the parent/child relationship can suffer.

When I was young I was in the midst of a similar problem. I was away from home for weeks at a time (in hospital) and I did not get the closeness to my parents like my siblings did. Maybe that is why I pay attention to these kids in a parental way like I do. It helps to bring closure to some traumatic experiences in my past. And it gives me a chance for Lucy and I to experience parenthood. But let me tell you, being parents is for younger couples! We're glad when the boys' parents come home from work and take them off our hands.

No comments: