Thursday, November 8, 2007

Prison correspondence

A hobby of mine is writing to penfriends. I used to write to people all over the world, mostly to women. They were more apt to find time writing, and they had interesting things to say. I really didn't have any romantic interest in writing but there was one lady in Taiwan who did, and it took a few letters to get it all straightened out. One problem, I didn't have the finances to travel to Taiwan. Another was, at that time I was not in the market for romance. I had other things on my mind. Maybe it would have been nice to follow through, but it was years later that I finally did find a gal in Ohio, when I lived in New Jersey. We got married in July and I moved to Ohio in October. As you can imagine, it was a heck of a commute almost every weekend--475 miles one way. I'll have to tell that story sometime.

Right now, I have a few prisoner penfriends on my mailing list. I rented a post office box and generally write about everyday things, and some of my viewpoints on Scripture and our spiritual self.

Most prisoners may deserve their incarceration but there are quite a few who are wrongfully accused. No matter why they are in prison, it would help to see and understand the spiritual side of themselves. They need to understand that they need not continue in the same path that got them into trouble in the first place.

One gentleman in Louisiana has continued to write for over 2 years. Maybe it's because he's closer to my age, but there are other inmates a lot younger who have been writing for awhile. My first letter reveals my age so some have not answered my letter. When you write to a fellow 40 years younger than you are, you might not get an answer. That's OK, there are a lot of inmates who would like to find someone to correspond with, for any reason, at any age. Some may ask for money, which I don't answer to. One fellow asked for money, and the next letter he apologized.

I wrote to one prisoner and he sent me a xeroxed copy of a 24-page brief that he had written for his lawyer. It told about his prison life and how much of a hell it is. That is one person who needs to write to someone. He never wrote to me again. Win some, lose some.

But there are plenty of guys and gals out there who want letters. You can find them on websites that advertise their need for correspondence. These websites also give instruction on how to write to prisoners.

One inmate in Oregon asked me why I choose to write to prisoners. I outlined some of my reasons:
1. They’re a captive audience.
2. They are more apt to have time writing in continual correspondence.
3. I need an outlet for my writing experience.
4. I don’t think prison is the real answer for a lot of people who are incarcerated although it can be tactfully viewed as a stepping stone in a learning experience. Some sentences are way too lengthy for the crime. No wonder there is prison overcrowding.
5. I have found a view of life that transcends race, creed, religion, and am willing to share it with those interested.
6. I have stories to tell of my own life experiences and I don’t mind telling them.

I believe society has some responsibility for many of those who end up in prison. We need to be kinder to one another, understand one another, feel an empathy for the other person. Engage in more friendly conversation with one another. Think about what you would do in the other person's shoes. You might never get to that point, but how would you feel if you did?

Yes, prisoners may learn how to be more devious among other inmates, but not all. If you were in their situation, you would act the same way.

The point is: these folks need someone to be a good friend. They most likely had the wrong kind of friends that got them into trouble. They may have anger problems, a penchant for stealing which most likely initially stemmed from desperation, or being around the wrong people, or they may think and act only for themselves. The best way to act is to be courteous to others at all times. So many people need to learn that.

I'm looking at it from a viewpoint of a middle income society so I don't have all the answers for the poor. Maybe I'm in the poor slot, I'm on disability and fixed income, which gives me time to write these articles. I understand some of the poor lot of people. I find them to be normal people, even happy. It's the people who get themselves into trouble with the law who need understanding, and they aren't necessarily poor. Incarceration covers all elements of society.

To engage in such correspondence you only need to use your head and your heart.

Some websites:
Prison Penpals
Prison Penpal Directory
Convict Penpals

No comments: