Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A lesson in sync

Lucy and I, with 9-year-old Nathan and 6-year-old Nolan (grandnephews)  were at the Charles Mill Park in May. Lucy, in her wheelchair, went through the park and a teenager ran by her, muttering that he lost something. Lucy didn't catch the name of whatever was lost but the boy's father was seen walking throughout the park, searching the ground. It must have been important because he was seen several times.

Meanwhile, Nathan and Nolan were down by the water, skipping stones, and was oblivious of it all. I had the idea, or premonition, that whatever they had lost would be found but was sure it would not be found by me, although I looked around a little where I was. I had no idea what he was looking for. 

Finally I called the boys to come along, we’re going home. Lucy then noticed that the man and boy were getting into his car on the other side of the park. When Nathan and Nolan sat down in the van, Nathan remarked that he found an MP3 player and was happy about his find. Lucy remarked that maybe it is what the man was looking for. Nathan gave a sigh of disappointment. 

We noticed that the car was leaving and I quickly drove up a side road to the main road. If he turned right I would try to intercept him; if left, I’d follow him. He turned left and I followed until, for some reason, the car stopped by the road. I pulled up behind it. 

Nathan got out of the van and the teenager got out of the car. Holding up the unit, Nathan asked him if this is what he was looking for. The boy said yes and took it, and went back into the car. A few seconds later he got out again and called out “THANK YOU”. We pulled out again and the driver of the car called out THANK YOU! THANK YOU! 

Is it any wonder that we can be thankful for such an incident that gives us a lesson in a dynamic that can only be attributed to something beyond ourselves! We may have the insight to grasp a working situation but it is what is within ourselves that can choreograph an event to a meaningful and happy conclusion.

We can take it as a lesson. That's what we are here forto learn lessons. As many say, there are no coincidences.

No comments: