Friday, June 27, 2008

Indiana Jones

This past Tuesday I was all set to have a day out on the town. I didn't have any dialysis scheduled for the day since it's only on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. With such a regimen one needs to have a reprieve once in awhile. Dave M. from New Jersey had contacted me about going to the movies to see the latest movie of Indiana Jones. With his enthusiasm, it is evident that he is an expert on the subject.

He had told me about it almost a year before it came out. If you liked Raiders of the Lost Ark, you're sure to appreciate this movie. Indiana Jones first appeared in the 1981 film Raiders of the Lost Ark. The film was followed by Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in 1984, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in 1989, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles from 1992 to 1996, and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in 2008. In addition to his film and television appearances, the character has been featured in novels, comics, video games, and other media.

The movie, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, opened on May 22. We saw it just this past Tuesday, June 24. That was over a month from the start. I asked him if it would still be playing when he came to Ohio. "Are you kidding? This movie is going to play for a long time!"

He told me he went to the opening at midnight on May 22 and the place was packed with hero worshippers. I'm not that ambitious, but I do like a good adventure and I was not disappointed.

On Tuesday Dave showed up at around 10:30 a.m. on his Harley and left it parked at our place while we drove to the Mansfield Cinemark Theater, a first-run theater. (Lucy and I always go to the dollar theater in town.) Lucy wasn't too happy that I spend a lot of money for a movie, but when we got there for the 11:00 a.m. showing, it was only $4.50. After a month of Indiana Jones feeding frenzy the fervor had died down and there were only two other people in the theater.

Since I'm walking with a crutch I sat in the handicap section, which was a bit too close; the previews were wild enough to make you want to sit farther back. I told Dave I'm going back a few rows, so we sat back not far from one of the other patrons.

Dave had told me he was going to get an Indiana Jones fedora from the same person who made them for the movie. Sure enough, he drove his trusty Harley all the way to Mississippi and back in time to attend the movie with me. And he wore the hat to the movie.

When he had told me about getting the hat, I told him that he would certainly be sleeping during the movie. He didn't think so. A few minutes into the movie the excitement grew loud and fierce. I turned to Dave to make a comment about it, in time to see him quickly raise his bowed head to attention, agreeing with me. A person can get mesmerized into oblivion from sheer monotony. And a lot of constant excitement can turn out to be monotonous. Look Dave, no one can expect to stay awake after traveling hundreds of miles, especially when this was the 7th time you saw the movie.

The movie was worth going to see. It was the old Harrison Ford character at its finest. I hadn't seen a movie like that for a long time. Well, I admit that I don't watch many new movies these days.

After the movie, we dined at Olive Garden Restaurant. That's one place Lucy and I frequent on occasion. Lucy doesn't really mind when I don't include her in some of my social escapades; she has her own Ladies' Day Out with her sister and nieces.

Dave spent a little time with us when we got back home, but he had appointments to keep and had to get back to his neck of the woods. With the day being sunny and warm, it was a good time had by all.

By the way, Dave can be seen on his own website. Click here.

No comments: