Saturday, February 2, 2008

Two Doves

Sometimes you wonder why things happen when they happen. You think you're trying your best and suddenly the bottom unexpectedly drops out. We had that experience a few years ago when Lucy had a stroke, after I had my own dilemma of needing medical care. We were both in hospital at the same time in May and June 2004. (see Nov. 27, 2007)

We spent our 10th wedding anniversary recovering at home from our ailments and glad we got that far. But it is rather lonely to reminisce over the past and wonder why. But I already knew why. It was part of our lot to sit back and review things for spiritual growth. That's the way I take it, and the way things can turn out to be true, once one validates the experience.

One night, not long afterward, I woke up and saw a pinpoint of light up near the wall on the other side of the room. The room was dark and as I watched, the light grew larger and closer. Intrigued, I sat up in bed. The light came real close and suddenly blossomed into two beautiful doves of light, with their wings fluttering in flight, as if to land. By their light I could see my hand, and I moved it toward them. One of the doves landed on my finger. I even felt it as it touched. The spot I offered was a small scar on my forefinger that I acquired in the line of duty over 30 years before. The other dove suddenly changed course and flew over and landed on my wife, who was sleeping soundly by my side.

I was astounded and enthralled, and thinking about the meaning of it all. It happened so fast, and they stayed only a few seconds, but enough for me to feel blessed by the experience, and determined to take the experience to heart as an elegant response to the afflictions we had to go through months before.

Such experiences are more and more prevalent these days. In spite of the apparent worsening conditions of weather, politics, domestic upheavals, there is more light being shed on those who stay the course, stick to the path they were set out to take, and endeavor to spread the light of truth to others. In spite of seeming failures, there are recompenses which make life worth the struggle. We can only keep those things which we experience, go ever onward, and ignore the skeptics.

No comments: