Sunday, October 21, 2007

Answered prayer

Some experiences come at a time when you least expect them. My wife, Lucy, was having a Ladies Night Out, along with her sister and two nieces. I was not invited. She's in a wheelchair and they used my 1994 Ford Econoline E-150 van with the wheelchair lift. I settled down to watch a movie on television while they were gone.

Suddenly I felt uneasy; uneasy enough that I thought of the ladies and I prayed a prayer of protection for them. When they came home my niece gave me the keys and said that the brakes on the van were almost to the floor and there was a fluid leak. That presented a new problem. It was Friday night and I would have to have it towed for repair. That night I didn't sleep well, wondering what to do about it. Lucy suggested I drive it to the service station, which was eight miles away. But without brakes?

At 2 a.m. I had the answer: drive it to the service station. I would leave early in the morning, I visualized all the problems of going on the route without brakes, every hill, stop light and turn. Every time I woke up I planned the trip. Part of me just wanted to sleep and figure it out in the morning. The other part of me dared to take the challenge. At 5 a.m. I woke up, dressed, and told Lucy I was going to take care of the van. It was still dark outside. I started the van, found that it had some brake ability, and carefully drove the eight miles to Monro, the service station that would open at 7:30 a.m. They fixed it by 10:30 a.m., changing a leaking brake hose and saying there are a couple of other hoses that should be replaced soon. I felt so much better having followed my intuition, and listening to my wife.

No comments: